Dairy Production Medicine Externship
Perry Veterinary Clinic (PVC), a 24 veterinarian mixed animal practice located in Western New York, operates 3 VFAP accredited companion animal clinics and a large ambulatory service. PVC offers opportunities for externships in dairy production medicine throughout the year. Externships are tailored to meet the interests and needs of the individual studentís academic program and ability level.
A PVC partner will be assigned as a primary mentor for the dairy production medicine extern. The mentor will work with the student to design an experience that meets the needs of the student. Students will have exposure to all aspects of practice life including veterinary activities, case studies, producer meetings, billing, inventory management, and customer relations. Depending on the duration of the externship, special projects or research initiatives may be arranged.
Objectives of the externship include:
Routine Dairy Herd Health
- achieve a basic proficiency in rectal palpation
- introduction to ultrasound imaging
- assist / perform basic surgical procedures (DA surgery, C-section)
- assist with and perform basic obstetrical procedures
- sick cow diagnosis and generation of treatment plans
- embryo transfer
- treatment protocol design and implementation
- nutrition work (including ration balancing and troubleshooting)
- milking system evaluation (milking equipment and milking procedure evaluation)
- facility design
- production, reproductive, and disease incidence benchmarking
- computer records analysis (primarily DC 305)
- Bi-weekly computer records assignments will be available to increase students practical aptitude with on farm computer software programs
- Weekly rounds will be conducted to address important and timely concepts. Food and beverage will be provided during rounds.
PVC provides housing and professional liability insurance through the AVMA PLIT Student Program.
When not pursuing academic / professional development, the area includes numerous year round attractions and is within easy commuting distance of Buffalo, Rochester and Toronto.
Interested applicants may contact Tracy Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (585) 969-9117.
Return to Educational Opportunities